Limited Power of Attorney for Study Abroad - Free Download
4.6, 2613 votes
Please vote for this template if it helps you.
Limited Power of Attorney for Study Abroad
Limited Power of Attorney for Study Abroad
1. Do I need a Power of Attorney while I am studying abroad
The TU Study Abroad Office recommends that all students studying abroad select a person to take
care of their financial affairs while they are out of the country. This is done by assigning a Power
of Attorney. Some instances when a Power of Attorney may be necessary are:
a. to receive checks made payable to you for educational expenses
b. to sign and deposit checks made payable to you
c. to handle issues related to your financial assistance
d. to access information in your student account and/or financial assistance files
e. to process banking transactions
f. to process insurance transactions
g. to pay bills
2. What are the steps to assigning a Power of Attorney
Assigning Power of Attorney is a legal process that involves the drafting of a document which
assigns another person to act as your legal representative in specific situations. To arrange a Power
of Attorney fill out the attached form and then have your signature notarized. Note: the Power of
Attorney document must be signed by you in the presence of a Notary Public.
3. What is a Notary Public
A Notary Public is a person who has been designated by the government to confirm that a
document is legal. Most banks and post offices provide this service. You can find a Notary Public
near you in the Yellow Pages.
4. Who should I ask to be my Power of Attorney
You should select a person you consider trustworthy to make decisions in your best interests and
sign on your behalf. Most students select a parent, significant other, or long-term friend. A casual
acquaintance is NOT recommended. University staff, including the TU Study Abroad staff, may not
act on your behalf. Always ask the individual before appointing them as your Power of Attorney.
5. For what period of time should I have a Power of Attorney
If you plan to travel prior to and/or after your study abroad experience, the Power of Attorney
should include the entire time you plan to be away.
6. How far in advance should I begin arranging for Power of Attorney
You should take care of arranging your Power of Attorney well in advance of your departure. Give
the completed and notarized original document to your Power of Attorney and keep a photocopy
for yourself.
Limited Power of Attorney for Study Abroad Previous Page Limited Power of Attorney for Study Abroad Next Page
Limited Power of Attorney for Study Abroad